Thursday, September 6, 2007

717 718 719 Chapter 11 Audio files, Water Walls on Mars

Message no. 717 Posted by Thomas Culhane (1311520071) on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:06pm Subject: Chapter 11 audio files now available

Hi Class -- under course content you can now find chapter 11 "books on tape" with the background music from the Lord of the Rings movie soundtrack. I recorded it in three parts, each about a half hour long. Hope it helps make the reading fun (I tried to put back on my old New York accent in the second section, since some of you were talking about New York accents in some posts! This is the way I used to talk, before I moved to California. It was fun recreating my old Dobbs Ferry voice! )

Chapter 11 is the last chapter I will be reading aloud but you guys are welcome to read other chapters (any from 1-10) into your computer and post them too, with your own musical selections if you like -- a chapter you read and record can count as a relational summary if you make a few comments as you read the chapter. You might find this a fun way to engage with the material! You can also read sections of chapters and comment on them.

This chapter I saved as mp4 files, so I hope they play on your machines!

Enjoy,

T

Message no. 718[Branch from no. 678] Posted by Thomas Culhane (1311520071) on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:14pm Subject: Re: Relational Summary - Varshawn

Pat, Adrienne, Varshawn et al. ... You might be interested in knowing, given the eutopia projects you have done, that sand storms are not only a big threat in the middle east and texas (and should be addressed in your thinking about making a perfect world for yourselves there) but are one of the chief concerns for potential Mars colonies. On Mars the dust storms are expected to be catastrophic because of the high winds and the fact that Mars dust is so fine the particles are expected to get into everything and cause severe disruptions and malfunctions, to say nothing of Asthma such as you have experienced and described.

One possible solution: some kind of "water wall" or positive pressure air flow that traps the particles or keeps them out -- the kind of thing they have in "clean rooms" in hospitals and p4 bio labs and in semiconductor factories where purity is very important.

I was told recently that one reason no investors want to build semiconductor or high quality glass factories in Egypt is because of the dust problem. We also get severe dust storms , and even when you dont notice the dust storm the fine particles cause ill health. I got a bad eye infection from unnoticeable dust getting behind my contact lens, so now I usually wear my glasses in Cairo.

Interesting how environments can affect our behavior (and appearance!)

T



Message no. 719[Branch from no. 709] Posted by Thomas Culhane (1311520071) on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:20pm Subject: Re: Relational Summary

Thanks for those insights Pat -- unfortunately I couldnt view the website because it asked for a username and password. Perhaps if I use my UCLA proxy when I am back in Cairo next week I will be able to get in so I will check it out there.

No comments: