Saturday, August 25, 2007

20 Print screen function

Message no. 20[Branch from no. 19]

Posted by Thomas Culhane (1311520071) on Monday, January 22, 2007 3:26pm

Subject: this is a test

Hi Michelle and all,

Michelle, your first test downloaded to my computer as some kind of .mft file, so I could not open it.

How are you doing your screen capture? On a Mac I generally use the application "Grab" (found in the Applications/Utilities folder), which captures it as a .tiff, then I open it with the application "Preview" and do a save as to a JPEG, which I upload as an attachment (JPEGs are much smaller).

I encourage everybody to convert pictures to JPEG files for this course. Can you try again?

Here are the instructions I got from the Grab Help screen (if you are a PC user, I will check that system out and let you know in a minute, but I think you can do the same thing with PRINTSCREEN.):

"Converting Grab screen shots to other formats Grab saves screen shots as files in TIFF format. If you want to use your screen shots on the web, in email, or in a word processor, you can use the Preview application to convert the TIFF files to other formats, such as JPEG or PICT.

Open Preview (located in Applications) and choose File > Open. Locate the file you want to convert and click Open. Choose File > Save As. Choose a file format from the Format pop-up menu and click Save. You can also use third-party applications to open and convert TIFF files created in Grab."

Here is an attached picture of Dr. Sybille Culhane (my wife's) family home in Germany. This is where we will be conducting the course from next week (we are now in California). See if this comes through (note it has the file extension .jpg)

No comments: